Friday, January 24, 2014

Components in my novel: There be monsters and creatures that go bump in the night.

I wanted to discuss some of the issues which will be addressed in my upcoming book.  I figured that the people, who have taken the time to read my blog, should have an idea about what my novel is about and what is featured in it. If you are unfamiliar with the story of my novel, it is an alternate world, where time has been stuck in the dark and middle ages.
First, MONSTERS AND MORE MONSTERS. Let’s just say that I have done extensive research about monsters in European legends.  I was fascinated about how they are different from out perceived concepts about these monsters.  One example is the werewolf.  Today, we believe (from movies and tv shows) that you become a werewolf from being bitten by a werewolf.  This concept is a manufacture of Hollywood. In my research I discovered that to become a werewolf, you were wither cursed, or made a pact with the devil.  Another point about the werewolf is that silver is not the only way to kill one.  Again, silver is an idea made by Hollywood, the original ways to kill a werewolf in legend is basically the same way you would kill any wolf (of course a wolf of a larger size).
I also in my novel included little know monsters.  We may all know the werewolf or the vampire, but what about the snake like dragon called an amphithere or a fierce humanoid beast known as a gorgade?  I have included these monsters and creatures in my novel, and have made a particular concern to describe them as medieval Europeans perceived them.
TECHNOLOGY: I once thought that during the dark ages and early medieval period, that European technology and medicine was primeval and barbaric. It is true that some of their techniques were rudimental and makes little sense to use today, but I was fascinated about the other advance skill and knowledge that they processed. A good example of this is in medicine. Medieval surgeons used a variety of tools to perform surgery such as the cauteries, which was a heated tool used to seal off woods.
I was also shocked to learn that there was a concern in those days for dental hygiene. Europeans used a simple mouthwash and polished their teeth with a combination of wood ash and paste.
COMBAT: During the middle ages, there were many wars and battle going on throughout Europe. As a result of this constant struggle many interesting, and goal specific weapons were developed. In my novel I not only describe fight scenes but also explain the types of weapons that were used. The pavise was a shield designed for crossbowman to stand behind when they reloaded their weapon. A mangonel was a catapult type siege weapon that used a bow to propel objects
There are many more items I included in my novel, and I hope you will take the time to read it and find out.  I liked learning about these topics and including them in my book, and I hope you will enjoy reading it and maybe learn something new yourself.
NEXT TIME: CHARACTERS

No comments:

Post a Comment